So Friday we finally make it to Mount Rushmore! We were staying in Custer but couldn't check into our hotel until 3. So we ate lunch in Custer and then just drove on to Mount Rushmore. Of course the kids were less than impressed with what we were seeing and overly annoyed that Mommy and Daddy wanted to READ the informational placards in the museum. But overall I think they handled it well.
As you can see, Erin is less than impressed. In her defense, it's her nap time right now.
Selfie!!
I love this series of pictures. I think this shows the personalities of our children extremely well.
But alas, we did rely on the kindness of strangers for a family photo. Mom likes to be in some of them too.
So on Saturday we decide to go to Rushmore cave and on the way we spotted a couple of mountain goats! The one in the background was a kiddo!
So off we go to the cave! It was an hour expedition and the kids actually did really well! Erin insisted on walking the whole thing even though I had my Moby wrap with me. Aiden even got to turn off the lights (with the consent of the guide) in the big room so we could experience what the original explorers would see. He thought that was "pretty good."
Poor Daddy drew the short straw.
Then we ate lunch and wandered around Keystone - THE CUTEST LITTLE TOWN I'VE EVER SEEN! We found this great buffalo bench. For some reason it made me think of Pappa!!
Hello Buffalo!
Aiden is using his binoculars.
Time for a "horse" ride.
Can't leave Sister out!
(Notice the gleeful side kick).
Ok, this was probably the coolest part of our trip. In Custer State Park they have a road called Wildlife Loop Road where (oddly enough) you can see quite a bit of wildlife if you go early or late in the day. So, Saturday evening off we go to "go find some animals."
Our first buffalo!
Itchy donkey.
He came by for a closer look.
And then there were literally HUNDREDS of buffalo! It was amazing. This giant herd of buffalo just sauntering along. Lots of baby buffalo running and lowing. It was incredible.
We saw a few elk, obviously deer, turkeys, prairie dogs and I think that covers it. It was super, SUPER awesome.
So, one long car ride back and we had a great trip. The kids did really well in the car. I think we have two great travelers on our hands. I think it was a much needed break for all of us. Except for Sadie. I think she had more fun than she could handle. She's still recovering today.









No comments:
Post a Comment