Pageviews past week

Monday, August 26, 2013

There's no place like home.

We finally made it home!  I got into Omaha late last night.  We're so grateful to Denise and Devon who let us stay one more night with them before we headed home.  So of course, no one takes a nap on the way home (except for mom) and Erin falls asleep 3 minutes before we get home.  Oh well, they're all in bed now.  It's going to be an interesting week getting them back on track.

It was a really great course this weekend.  It's one of those where you feel like you're drinking from a fire hose and the last half of the last day I'm pretty sure my face was glazed over.  But it's always fun to be in an environment where you're surrounded by people who just want to learn.  It was cool.

But the reactions from the kiddos were priceless.  Aiden saw me come up the stairs this morning and kind of did a whimper thing and gave me a big (strong for him hug).  It was awesome.  And then we all went in to get Erin this morning and she was on her back.  She rolled over, stood up, stretched out her arms and yelled "Mommy!!!"  She has wanted me to hold her a lot today, which has been really fun as well.

It's been a weird juxtaposition of really enjoying the time away from the kids and really missing them.  I got to eat dinner in front of the TV.  I finished a book and started another.  I went to the bathroom by myself.  I got to eat all the strawberries I wanted.  But ... I have to admit I missed the whining.  I missed being able to shape who the kiddos are becoming.  I missed the fake tears, the real tears, the repeating things over and over and over again until I acknowledge it.  I guess that's the strange life of a mom.  Trying to figure out how to balance who you are and the stuff you want to do with the really important job of raising a man and woman of integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment